Classroom Language - Blog 8 Josh Freetly

I change my language in the classroom to be more formal and academic. This means I use less slang, try not to swear/curse as much, and I try to sound more sure should I be saying something in a discussion. I use less slang as it is an academic environment, so proper English is a part of that in my mind. The not swearing is because professors and teachers are authority figures and it is disrespectful to swear at or around authority and once again it's not proper in a learning environment. The last way my language is modified is confidence, which I try to add to my voice so that I come off strongly and am able to make my points and effectively contribute to the conversation when something is being discussed or debated. To present an example of what I would say to a friend but not in classroom would be something like "damn this is f****ng delicious," whereas, in the classroom, I would say "This is really good."

Comments