Blog 9

 Jonathan Sack

Blog 9

     My current thesis statement is "Cole Porter in his song “Anything Goes” mocks the contradictions between depression-era society and the past in the areas of morals, politics, and economic conditions".

Argumentative: I think that my thesis is argumentative. I am arguing that the song is talking about a specific thing, not just saying that the song is "about the depression" or something like that.

Focused: I think that my thesis is almost focused enough. It focuses in on an aspect of the song which roughly 50-75% of the lyrics are about. 1250 words is enough to analyze the necessary lyrics, I think. However, I will specify that I am talking about whether these changes are positive or negative and that the "past" I am talking about is in general America's conservative and comparatively (to the Great Depression, at least) more prosperous past.

Controversial: I think that my thesis could use some work on being controversial. I think that I am being a bit vague to the point that it isn't very reasonable to take the opposite position. I will specify exactly what I am talking about. This should help both with the thesis being controversial and focused.

Supportable: My thesis is supportable. I use song lyrics and the annotations of Genius users to support it, mainly.

Significant: This thesis is significant because, in my opinion, it is one of the main points of the song.

Directed: My thesis is directed because it lists out the areas of morals, politics and economic conditions. These are the main areas that I discuss in my paper. 

My new thesis: Cole Porter in his song “Anything Goes” mocks the contradictions between depression-era society and America’s conservative and more prosperous past in the areas of morals, politics, and economic conditions, calling into question whether these changes are positive or negative.

Comments