Blog 8

 I change my language and communication when I am in the classroom by using different words, speaking in a different tone, and overall just saying different things. When I am in a classroom, I usually speak with authority and try to sound professional. On the other hand, when I am outside of the classroom, I speak more casually and am not too concerned about the way I am perceived. There are things that are okay to say in a classroom setting and some things that are not okay to say. For example, it is probably not okay to use curse words or words that are offensive while you are in a classroom. Outside of the classroom, it might not be okay either, but it is more so wrong in a classroom. In terms of what kind of classroom I am in, like English or science, the subject definitely changes how I speak. In an English classroom, I am more focused on constructing words that flow nicely together and convey a deeper meaning. On the contrary, I do not think or speak this way in a science classroom, for example. In a science classroom, I would be more focused on numbers and chemicals, so I would most likely speak in shorter sentences and use more scientific terms. Some of my instructors have gone as far as to convey what kind of language they want and don't want in their classrooms. On my other English class's syllabus, my teacher has said that she wants conversations that are constructive and literary. She does not want conversations that are offensive, rude, or argumentative. There are a lot of different things that I might say in a conversation with my friends that I would not be comfortable talking about in a classroom. For example, I might talk to my friends about my personal life, or something bad that might have happened to me and my family. I would be comfortable talking about this with a friend over lunch, but not inside of a classroom. I would not be comfortable talking about this in a classroom for several reasons. For one, no one in my class needs to hear about my personal life, nor do I want to share it with people I probably don't even know. Another reason that this would not be appropriate in a classroom setting is because it most likely does not add to whatever we are trying to learn in class, so there would be no point in talking about it.

Comments