Blog 8

 When I am in class, I normally only talk when I answer questions from Professor, ask questions, or work with other classmates. I an way, I feel like that changes the way I use language and communication already just through the fact that I opt to not speak at all unless I need to. When I do speak, however, my language and communication is also changed by how formal I am in class. Most of the time, if I am speaking to a Professor, then I won't be using slang, swearing, telling inside jokes, etc. If I am with friends, I would probably be using all of those things in my language. The class does dictate what language I use as well. I would speak differently in an English course compared to a science or math course. For example, in my Statistics class, we use all these math terms that we would never use in my Intro to Fiction class. We also would not say things like "diction" or "syntax" and go into super in depth analyses in Stats like we would in Intro to Fiction. Some of my professors would let us know it is okay to use informal language in class, as long as we are respectful. for example, I have a professor who has told us to call him by his first name rather than "Professor" or "Sir." Other professors expect us to not swear or not call them by their first names. Something I feel like I could talk about over lunch with a friend and not in class would be talking about drama in my friend group. My friend group is pretty close, so if we have drama, it is probably something big and personal. I obviously would not like to share personal aspects of my relationship with my friends in class, especially if there is an issue with those relationships. 

Comments