Blog 8: Understanding the Conversation(s)

When I am in a classroom setting I change my language to be more formal, whereas outside of the classroom it would be informal. I guess it just seems to be the more appropriate way to communicate, especially if I am speaking with an instructor. I would only speak informally if it were with other students and/or friends. But there have been times where I did not have to speak formally with the instructor because they were okay with it. For example, my junior and senior year of high school my teachers were pretty laid back, so they interacted with the students how the students would among themselves. I do remember the language being different my freshman year of high school to my senior, and even from college, too. I would say that things that weren’t appropriate to say in my classrooms were cuss words or just any inappropriate language at all, which was really during high school. In my science classes I would say it’s still formal, but just with different vocabulary. I did not have any other instructors talk about the type of language that they thought were appropriate for their classroom. For me personally I wouldn’t speak about me partying because I just don’t think that it belongs in the classroom and I simply wouldn’t feel comfortable doing so.

Comments