Blog 8 - Manjarrez

 It is obvious that our way of speaking and writing depends on the scenario that we are in. When speaking to a professor, we tend to be formal and clean, no cuss words or slang. But when having a conversation with some friends, we are more informal and free to say whatever we want without sounding disrespectful or illiterate. In a classroom I am more cautious and smart with my words. I try to use “big” words to make myself sound like I know what I’m talking about. Make it till you make it is my motto. I believe I would speak differently in a science class because I have to be more specific and use certain science terms to be understood. I don’t have the freedom to be as broad as I would be in an English class. In college, instructors are more lenient with different kinds of language simply because we are technically “adults” now and adults can slip up once in a while by saying a cuss word or two. In elementary, my teachers were a lot more strict. We had to say “may I” instead of “can I” and had to refer to the teacher as Ms. or Mr. not “teacher.” I’m sure it was a way to discipline us at a young age and learn about boundaries and respect. 

Something that I would say to a friend over lunch that I wouldn’t say to a class would be talking about my family drama or personal life. I wouldn’t tell a whole classroom because I don’t truly know those people and/or trust them with such information. I think when having deep conversations, there has to be a sense of trust and understanding that whatever is said will stay between those two people.


Comments