Legacy and Emmett Till - Blog 7 - Josh Freetly

    Jessie Jaynes-Diming, shown in the first image of the article is working to preserve and teach civil rights history to people in Mississippi and people from around the world. She is doing this by giving tours of civil rights historical sites throughout the region to tourists intretersted in the topic. In the article she talks about how when she first moved there, she was surprised to find that many locals were ignorant of the histroy of the area and wanted to change that which she does through her tours and work on the Emmett Till Memorial Commision.

    Later in the article, it talks about Tyler Yarbrough who is a student at the University of Mississippi. To preserve the legacy of Emmett Till he and a few of his fellow students carried a monument marker that had been descreated by white supremists who shot it full of holes. This walk with the sign through the universtiy campus to a statue of a confedarte figure was an excellet commentary to call attention the history of white supremacy and taking a stand against it. Tyler talks about doing this because he felt a deep sadness and disappointment recalling the racist histroy of the school and Mississippi as a whole.

    The space I discussed last week was my home, which I preserve the legacy of by helping to take care of the house and being respectful of long established rules of the house. By doing these things it reinforces the house as a place of comfort and stability where I understand what needs to be done to keep the space functioning and in the condition that brings me comfort. This is important outside of myself as it keeps the house stable in my mind which makes it a space I'm fine sharing with my friends allowing them to have some of my personal brand of stability and gives us a space to grow closer and hang out.




Comments