Blog 7

Willie Williams is the co-director of the Emmett Till Memorial Commission. He advocates for Emmett and tells his story because he feels the story was hidden and silenced for so long. It's important for him to spread the truth of what really happened and how it has effected several people that not only knew Emmett, but were people of color and feared for their lives. It's also important for the people of Mississippi to know exactly what happened during that time and how people got away with such cruel crimes. It's important for me to understand what happened to Emmett as well so I can do my part and make a difference. 

Johnny B. Thomas is the mayor of Glendora, Mississippi. He runs the Emmett Till Historic Intrepid Center with replicated items from Emmett's case. He shows the true horror of this case in his museum and how so many lives were changed from this murder. This is important because some people might not know the full story, or they have false information from the case. Once again, knowing this information can help me understand the impact of this case and the impact of similar crimes.

My home was the safe space that I chose for last week. I preserve the legacy of this space by having the most important people in my life come over and we make so many memories here that this house will be talked about for years on end. It is important for me to do this because I want my home to be a place for other people to come and feel welcome and like they are in their own house. 

Comments