Blog 7

Three important figures in the story of Emmett Till's abduction and murderer are people with significant importance when it comes to telling and remembering the tragic story of Emmet and the people surrounding him. 

Dave Tell, a professor at Kansas is the author of “Remembering Emmett Till” which is a story to commemorate and remember Emmet. The purpose of his work in this case is to bring clarity to the table. To bring facts and to show the injustice for the family and the community during the times. He showcases information in the trial for the alleged murderers of Emmett. And for example how unreasonable the verdicts were. He said that his work is to commemorate Emmet but also to show respect and appreciation towards Emmet's family and close ones. And to all their sacrifices and shed tears. 


Ollie Gordon and Airikckca Gordon, cousins of Emmet. Commemorates the heroes that stood by Emmet’s side during these terrible times and commemorates one of their uncle's brave efforts when he testified against one of the murderers. At the time no black man had ever testified against a white man. And uncle Mose was the first man to ever do so. Which at the time was completely unheard of and considered suicidal. 



In my case, the way I commemorate my old high school is by remembering and sharing memories with the ones that stood the closest to me during the times I was there. We still to this date have good relationships with each other even though most of us have chosen different paths in life. In my case, it has always been about sharing memories and how that impacted me with the group. So it has mostly been an internal journey. But it is also important for me to remember since it is one significant foundation for who I am today. 

One reason it could be important for anyone and in this case, in my case, to share stories and places like this is to understand people and their character. I think part if you understand where someone comes from and what they have gone through in life I think it's easier to accept each other and to be less judgemental. But I also think stories give us explanations for what drives people's will and why we have certain goals in life. 


Comments