Blog 7 - Emmett Till

 Blog 7

In the first text seen on the website, these people are working extremely hard in order to preserve the legacy of Emmett Till. They are refusing to let his story fade away or be retold incorrectly by people who want to completely tarnish his legacy. They managed to replace a commemorative plaque that was often vandalized and shot at, with a bulletproof memorial so that he can be commemorated without fear of it being damaged with bullets. This is important so that the people do not forget the horrible past of the state so people can embrace this ugly truth and use it as something to learn from to make the future a better place. The second one I read was the one based on Professor Tell and this shows how he works to study and research historical events and essential fact checks them. He often finds pieces of information that are not historically accurate and this is important so that the people can see the truth or understand that those in power that are retelling the story, are retelling it in a way that favors them. This encourages people to critically analyze the things they come across and question what they see instead of just accepting it as the truth. 

I believe that I preserve the legacy of my special space, my home, by behaving in a way that reflects the ideals that are internal to my space. I believe that by acting in a way that represents and reflects my space, allows me to behave in a way that is morally correct and it affects everybody I encounter on a daily basis as it shapes how I interact with people. It is extremely important to me and this in itself is my identity so I will continue to behave in a way that expresses who I am and what I stand for.

Comments