Blog 6

 Change. I think it's something most people are really afraid of. They fear the unknown and they fear things they cannot control. It's hard not knowing what you're getting yourself into and not knowing if you can adapt to things around you. There are several things I've had to change throughout my life and sometimes it's been terrifying. Things like moving from middle school to high school is something so simple and most people aren't worried about it, but for me worrying is something I do often. I honestly feel like though the more my life has changed, things have gotten better. I've grown and learned things that I wouldn't have learned if I didn't take that step into the right direction. When I turned 16 I got my first job ever as a cashier at a Hardees. I was so terrified because it was something new and it was going to be a big change for me, but once I became comfortable with everything, I loved that job. I became so good at something that I was once terrified of doing because it made me uncomfortable. However, just like everything else, that job changed for me and wasn't the job that I liked doing anymore and I took the next step and chose a different job that would do better things for me. I think my issue is I hate being new at something and not knowing what I'm doing. It makes me feel dumb and I like being comfortable where I'm at, so choosing to move from fast food into retail was a big jump for me. Once I learned what I was doing and figured everything out, I am now comfortable with where I'm at. Another change I think that's difficult for me to take in is the fact that my friends and I are growing apart because we are all in such different spots and we are growing into different people. It's always a confusing time, especially going to college and not knowing a soul, and now you're supposed to have your life figured out and you don't even really know who you are. It's not only uncomfortable, but it's scary. One second you think you have everything figured out and the next seconds you're on the verge of a mental breakdown because one thing set you off and know you don't know how to get back on track and get things together. All I can say is that if college has taught me absolutely anything so far it's that I can handle more than I actually think I can. Between work, school, my social life, and my own downtime, I never thought I was capable of actually getting myself together and accepting change for what it really is. Freeing.

Comments