Rachel Sharer: My Writing Process

Rachel Sharer

My Writing Process  


 When I write for fun, I normally sit on my bed with my laptop in my lap. I would just sit and type, occasionally taking short breaks to think and maybe twirling a piece of hair to help me focus before going back to typing. Sometimes my phone will be lying on the bed next to me, which can be distracting, but when I write for fun, I normally write until I don't want to anymore so it's not too big of a distraction. If I lose interest, I won't force myself to continue. When I write for school, I sit at my desk. From there, I can look into the mirrors I have propped up in front of me. I also have my lamp to my left and a container of pens and pencils to my right. Sometimes I get distracted by looking into the mirrors. Sometimes I purposefully look into the mirror while brainstorming ideas for what I am writing. The mirrors are both helpful and distractions for me. Most of the time when I write, I am typing on a document on my laptop. I rarely use a pencil and paper to write. It is easier for me to write on my laptop, and I find it more convenient to have access to the internet with a single click rather than getting my phone out to look something up. When I write, I either sit in silence, with the white noise from whatever is going on outside my house, or I play wordless music. If I play music, it is most likely a classical music playlist because I like the vibes and music like that normally inspires me. I am usually alone when I write for school. If I had other people around me, I would not be able to focus unless they were also working. If I am around other people when writing for school, it is because I am in a public space. Sometimes I will go to a Starbucks to work or just sit somewhere on campus, and when I do, there are others around me quite often. I just have to try my best to focus on what I am doing. I am always alone when I write for fun because I don't want to be around others then. Normally, I am speaking out loud or acting things out to myself to see if they make sense, and that would be somewhat embarrassing to do in front of other people! How I am feeling definitely does affect my writing. If I am tired or grouchy, I probably won't write to the best of my ability because I am not in the headspace for it. If I am in the right headspace, maybe feeling inspired or motivated to work, then I feel like I produce better writing. If I do not care much about what I am writing, my writing will not be the best. If I am passionate about what I am writing, then I could write for days and write well. It is easier for me to write about anything if I enjoy the subject.



Comments