Blog 4

 Wow. Reading the first page and a half really was a lot. She was told by not one, but two doctors that she would likely have a terrible illness that would likely cause her death. For her, when she found out she was going to be alright, she began to question some of the ways she lived her life. She realized that a lot of the times she was did not speak because she was too scared. She was an openly lesbian black women in the 1970s, I can't even imagine what she would have had said to her face and behind her back. Even as a straight white man in the 2020s, I still get scared to say things, so I just let things happen and accept it with silence. Also, I bet her choices would have been a lot different than mine, with more consequences if she did chose to beat the silence. So even though we have completely different perspectives, what she is saying is so true to all people. Her words are so important, because we should not live life with regrets of not standing up for what we believe in. I know personally, I struggle with saying no to people in a direct manner or at all. Sometimes I just want to go home and sit on the couch, but my girlfriend or friends want to hangout, and I just either say sure and accept it or so maybe, without being confident in my answer and just simply saying no. I hope I never have to have a near death experience to grow the strength to not be quite, but I do need to stand up for myself. While saying this, I do just want to say that again my challenges are a lot less than her's, and I am very blessed. "And of course I am afraid." This line stuck with me because even after dying, she still admits that it is scary to stand up and be brave! There is nothing wrong with being scared, but she reassures us to be true to ourselves and not just simple accept things for how they are. I am really glad I read this article because she is both comforting and motivational with her words. I wish I could ask her how it was to be a lesbian black women in the 1970s. I know she would have faced so many challenges in her life, but she knew who she was and she was proud. She learned thorugh almost dying that she needed to not be afraid to speak, because speaking is a way to be you.  

Comments