Blog 4

 Something from The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action that I firmly agree with is that what is most important to someone needs to be spoken. I believe that speaking up about the things that are important in your life gives them even more meaning and it must be done. Something from this reading that challenged me incredibly was the fact that one day, I am going to die. Obviously, I don't want to think about this, but it is inevitable and it does no good to ignore it. This reading pushed me to not have any regrets when my time comes. It makes me want to say the things that are on my mind and to stop being silenced because one day, I won't have the chance to say anything anymore and I don't want to have missed out on my chance. Something else that I noticed from this piece of writing was the fact that the author constantly capitalized the world "black", but did not capitalize the word "America". This made me wonder if the author does not respect our country as much as she respects the African American race. I know from reading this that the author believes African Americans are very powerful, so it makes sense to me that she would capitalize "black". However, it honestly bothered me that she did not capitalize "America". Whether this was intentional or not, it seems like a disrespectful thing to do and I would like to know why the author decided to do it. The last part of this writing that I particularly enjoyed was that the author believes that we cannot just speak about truth and what we believe in. On the other hand, we also have to live it. If we are going to talk so much about how we think things should be, then we need to live by example and show others that words mean nothing if actions are not added to them.

Comments