Blog 3 - Freewriting

 Jonathan Sack

Blog 3 - Freewriting

Prompt: Creativity needs space and time to make unexpected connections and see the world anew. One of the ways I choose to be creative is . . .

     Well, I'm not actually entirely sure what this prompt even means. I suppose I can just talk about my own creativity. I don't think I am a particularly creative person. I am fairly good at solving a defined problem, but that doesn't have a lot to do with creativity. That's moreso problem solving. Creativity is, I think, coming up with a new problem. Choosing the right problem. Now that I think about it a little more though, problem solving does have an influence of creativity. I am a little lost in thoughts. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense but oh well. I'll just start a new paragraph and maybe that'll help.

     I suppose I could talk about what makes or helps me be creative. No, no no. I think I'll talk about... I'm having trouble understanding what this prompt actually wants. One of the ways I choose to be creative... Perhaps I should talk about how I express my creativity? Yeah, I'll do that.

     I got nothing. Like I said, I'm not a very creative person. I suppose me and my friend are working on a project with Unreal Engine 4 right now, so I suppose that's going to require some creativity. Although, right now we have no idea what we are doing and are following YouTube videos almost to the letter at this point. But, later on we will need to be creative if we want the project to be any good at all. We are trying to make some kind of city builder game. My friend is doing most of the designing, though, which I think is a lot of the creativity, but not all of it. We have tried doing this before, but we didn't set up regular meetings, so it died out. Now we are going to try to meet every week. We'll see how that goes.

     Going back to that vignette project we just did a little bit, I guess I'll discuss what helps me to be creative. When I think of being creative, physically and mentally, I think of just having a mostly blank mind, focusing on a task, essentially waiting for an insight to come. Insights are, I think, a really important part of creativity. You usually don't slowly develop all parts of an idea, you slowly develop some of it, and then most of the idea comes to you in a rush, an insight. I got that idea from a psychology class, I will admit. Although, I think it is definitely true. It certainly seems true in my own experience.

Comments