Blog 2

Talking in person verses over text is a completely different ballpark. In person you just go with what pops in your head, and if you are like me you talk with your hands. On text, you probably talk with abbreviations, fragment sentences, and very little punctuation. With texts, there also is a lacking of a personal connection. One way that we as a society try to fix this is by the use of emojis. When something funny is said, we laugh, however over text there is no way to physically laugh. Often people use lol, but that is so bland. Another way that gives more life to saying you want to laugh is by using a laughing emoji. ðŸ˜‚ It just feels more fun! This emoji is by far the most commonly used of the emojis I see. Emojis also can be very overused and for the unoriginal meaning. I have noticed that I have recently started to use the laughing emoji more and more, honestly overusing it. The high-five emoji always gets used as prayer hands. I did not even know it was not the prayer hands until I saw a video. Whenever someone passes away, or someone wants to show they are praying, they use that emoji.  I do not think anyone intends anything wrong, this is just how our society has altered the use of this emoji. With all emojis, I feel that they add something to the conversation. I do not think they are crucial to the texts, but they do add depth. Really, nothing would be lost when you say I don't know verses using the shrugging emoji.  In the end, I personally feel like emojis are just a fun way to help communicate, but nothing more than that. 
P.S. In recent news, Drake's new album cover is only emojis of pregnant women of different races. I personally am very confused by this and do not understand it in the slightest. I feel like this could be something that would be interesting to discuss with this topic, to see if anyone in our class finds a deeper meaning to it.  






 

Comments