Blog 2 - Manjarrez

     We use emojis to communicate and emphasize our emotions through text. When we think something is funny, we use the laughing emoji. When we’re sad, we use the crying emoji. And when we think something is so funny that we're crying, we use both. Over the years we’ve developed new meanings for these emojis as well. And companies like Apple have created new emojis for literally everything. I get amazed by the amount of emojis that exist nowadays. There’s different types of food emojis, heart emojis, even skin colored emojis, which shows how inclusive technology has become.

     I use emojis to express myself in a way that words can’t. My absolute favorite one is the person standing (🧍‍♀️). I use it to emphasize my awkwardness, confusion, or even when I’m upset. For example, let's say I made plans with my sister and she canceled on me at the last minute because she decided to do something else. I send her that emoji and it’s my way of showing that I'm annoyed and upset. Saying, “bro you really stood me up, not cool.”

     Everyone has their own meanings for emojis, from inside jokes to habits created by their community. We all use different emojis to mean different things. Without emojis, I believe the conversation would be boring and dry. Certain things can be mistaken as rude or inconsiderate but when you add an emoji to it, it makes it fun and easier to understand that it was only in a joking manner.

Comments