Blog 2 emojis

From my experience, I would say that emojis are used a lot. But if you consider the areas where emojis could be used, I would say that it is very slim and narrow. In a writing context, the first thing I think of when I hear the term “emoji” is probably Instagram or catting services, such as Snapchat and WhatsApp. For me, I think there is a reason for emojis being used in such specific contexts. And that is mainly because it takes away the formal aspect and the seriousness in a way when writing. Which may not be suitable when applying for a job or writing to your professor for example. But personally, I like emojis and I definitely think there is a time and place for them. In my case, I use emojis on a regular daily basis whether it is writing to friends, family or when I am posting a new picture on Instagram. I think that the use of emojis in text sends a friendly message. And in some cases, even a goofy vibe to the other person which could be a way of showing your emotions and character. I think the use of emojis in the right context adds to the messages. Compared to a purely written message. For instance, if you would thank someone for doing you a favor for example. The obvious would be to write thank you. But by adding an emoji, you essentially flavor the “thank you”. If someone were to write me “thank you” followed with a heart emoji I would translate that to someone being very thankful. And if someone were to write me “u are welcome” folwed by an angry face emoji I would assume that they probably did not enjoy doing the favor for you. So essentially you can say a lot by adding emojis without necessarily saying it. And that I think, is very cool.


So essentially by adding emojis to the text it adds value and I would not necessarily say that each emoji has a set meaning to them either. But it all depends on the context of the text and message. My favorite emoji would probably be the smirk emoji. Mainly because it could be used in different ways. For me at least there are two contexts I would use it in. The first one would be if I were to make an outrageous statement in a sarcastic way. Then I might follow up the statement with the smirk emoji. But the second one would be in a flirting context. Really anything you say can be followed with this emoji I think and that is why I both like it and use it so much.


Comments