Blog 2: Emojis by Rachel Sharer

 I feel like I don't use emojis that much in a way that isn't sarcastic. Sometimes I use pretty ones like flowers or stars or hearts, etc., to just have a pretty looking caption or bio on a post. When I type a message for someone, I normally only use emojis if I am trying to emphasize the ridiculousness of something. For example, my friends and I will be talking in a group chat. We have all sorts of inside jokes. I will be repeating an inside joke and probably use an abundance of emojis to make the joke funnier or to act like whatever we are talking about. I don't use emojis that often, but I do you emoticons quite a bit. It's not the same, but I feel like is is generally the same idea. I love adding a :) or a :( to sentences. If is is something that makes me feel really happy or sad, I will add more mouths, :))) and :(((. I feel like that is the same as repeating the same emoji over and over again to add more emphasis to what you are saying. I do the same with hearts, <3 and <333, as well as winky faces, ;))) and ;(((. My favorite emoji or emoticon tends to be the heart ones. I just feel like it is easy to use and really conveys that meaning behind it. Whether it be love, support, or even gratefulness, it is not hard to decipher what a simple heart can mean in a text. I feel like that is the reason why it is probably one of the most used emojis. Without emojis, I feel like the true meaning on some texts and messages online might be misinterpreted. Emojis work really well at displaying the tone of words online. It is easy to tell what someone means in a sentence when they are talking in real life, but over text, it is hard to tell how you are supposed to interpret some things. Emojis help clarify texts a lot.

Comments